Pages

Saturday 19 January 2013

Sapporo

Sapporo, what can I say - it really feels very different than anywhere I've been in Japan - much quieter than the southern cities and more still as well. The most interesting aspect for me though, is the care one must take before even setting of outside, like putting on warm gloves sturdy shoes and starting up the car 10 min befor even leaving the apartment etc, also the care it takes to simply walk around and negotiate the city, like the side walks are covered with thick lumpy layers of ice, which force everyone to really take there time just walking around.

For now I will post just a couple of recordings I did in and around the city. The first was captured from the main strip in town and the sounds are from two sonic advertisements for male entertainment clubs. One coming from an ilumented sign to the left, and the other a speaker attached to a pole to the right of me.

these sounds were then picked up by  placing surface mics on a street light in between the two sound sources.

The second recording is from Mt Moiwayama and is simply of the wind blowing against a rusty old sign and the vibrations of very subtle distant sounds from the city below, again I used surface mics for these recordings. this is quite possibly one of the most subtle and quiet recordings I have ever taken. i have experimented with applying different noise reduction processes and raising volume of the recording, but the recording only seems to work when played at a VERY quiet level

note *** the second recording should be listened to on headphones or hi fidelity speakers***


Advertisement for male entertainment venue through street light by Mountain Black Sound






  T221 wind edit 1 (Snippet) by Mountain Black Sound

2 comments:

  1. hi martin,
    very nice work as always.
    only a post scriptum for you.could be nice and helpfull if in your next post you can add technical info (microphone used and recorder)under each audio waveform track.more "backstage "photos could be great.
    thanks
    ivan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ivan, I really do appreciate that your taking the time to listen to these recordings.

    I think I will make an equipment list page that outlines what recording setups I use for particular situations.

    photos. hmmm.

    This is something that I have been grappling with for years. I personally find that often (although not always) sound recordings are much stronger when one doesn't have an exact visual reference of whats causing/shaping a sound event, as this seems to propel the listener to discover and decipher a landscape and the events that take place place in a very different way than when given the whole "picture"

    So sometimes I do add pictures of the recording setup when I think it will add appreciation to the recording, but other times I feel it could be a distraction as well.

    anyway, it does make for an interesting discussion.

    m

    ReplyDelete