Pages

Tuesday 7 April 2015

The Astor

Since learning of The Astor possible immanent closure, These last couple of months I have been visiting the Art Deco cinema almost on a weekly basis and have once again totally fallen in love with the space. Apart from seeing great classics on the big screen the thing that I cherish most is the smell of the place, I just simply can't describe it in words - but it really strikes directly to the heart. I am also affected by the acoustics of the building, and find listening to the sounds of my fellow movie goers to be a very warm, intimate and sensual experience - particularly in those brief moments of silence when a show is about to begin and every one is going into quiet mode. During these times one can appreciate the sounds of subtle movements including: breath, creaking of leather seats, reaching for then eating popcorn, sniffing, coughing, and concentrating. For me these activities are exquisite.


No comments:

Post a Comment